Thursday, October 31, 2013

Augurs and augering in

I’m not going to be posting anything for at least a week; in fact, I won’t be on the Internet at all. Not only have I driven myself crazy trying to figure out which way the country will jump on the ObamaCare debacle,* I’ve clicked and copied and written so much my poor arm is screaming in protest. (Darned pre-existing condition!) Clearly this is a sign from the universe to stop obsessing about this and think about something else for a while.

Over the next month or so, I’ll be doing what I always do when I get near my health insurance plan anniversary date: I’ll be comparing the available policies. This time around, I’ll also compare them to my no longer available current plan. As I get those comparisons done, I’ll post them. I can say right now, without looking at specific copays and deductibles, that the new coverage, at least from Blue Cross Blue Shield, is worse across the board than my current coverage.

How do I know? The new policies have no out-of-network coverage except for emergencies and prescription medicines. My current policy does. I’ve never used enough out-of-network care to hit my deductible but it’s a great comfort to know that if I need or want the kind of care I can’t get in-network, I can still get it without bankrupting myself.

It may be that other New Jersey insurance companies are selling individual policies that do have out-of-network coverage - I’ll have to figure that out as I go along.

*****

Notes:

* This is something fascinating about blogs, both reading and writing them. There seems to be an irresistible drive to predict what’s going to happen, to figure out what the country really thinks, to look for signs that the blogger’s (or reader’s) preferred point of view has been adopted, is being adopted, will be adopted. Yet no one can predict that and, really, all we have to do is wait and see. Very odd.

No comments: