Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Both stupid and uncharitable

A man must be both stupid and uncharitable who believes there is no virtue or truth but on his own side. - Joseph Addison

It has come to my attention that there are those on the Left who are vehemently opposed to Obamacare - by which I mean the bills from the House and Senate which are the clearest guides we have to what the Democrats’ health care/insurance reform will look like. It has also come to my attention that these Leftists believe their opposition is purely fact-based and completely rational; a matter of principle; and a stand for social justice. It has further come to my attention that these selfsame Leftists believe the Right’s vehement opposition to the very same Obamacare is rooted in ignorance and unreasoning paranoia; a matter of political expedience; and a deliberate attack on the poorest and weakest among us.

What has not come to my attention is any indication that this asymmetrical pair of beliefs has given those Leftists a single moment of self-doubt or an instant of self-awareness. Nor has it come to my attention that any of those Leftists consider this state of affairs ironic or even interesting.

And, no, this does not contradict my earlier post. There is a world of difference between me respecting my opponents’ positions as sincere and reasonable and me acquiescing to my opponents’ characterization of my positions as neither.

No comments: